Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Water Outtake #2

Here is another outtake from my experiments with oil, water and food coloring. For this one I poured a thin layer of oil on a white plate, then added several drops/blobs of water as neatly as I could. I then used a toothpick to add food coloring to each water blob. It's neat how you can mix the water drops and not affect the oil. I was still adjusting some colors when the one green drop mixed with the red one, so I grabbed the camera before any more drops combined.

I'm not quite happy with this shot... I feel it's a little too flat, but when I tried to boost any colors the reds (which already look orange) lost any details of the shadows, which I kind of like.

And to marc, who asked about my fingerprint shot. It's really simple to make a clean fingerprint. Scribble with a pencil on a sheet of paper, rub your finger in the lead, put a piece of scotch tape on your finger (as smoothly as possible), then take the tape off and put it on a sheet of white paper. Voila! It's a trick I learned as a kindergarten teacher... even the kids fingerprints come out clear enough for them to compare.

3 Comments:

Blogger mike fairbanks said...

Wow, this looks like fun, Im gonna have to try this some day too!!!!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love these experiments. The one yesterday is especially colorful and interesting. This one is a great shot too. Thanks for a good idea for something to play with :)

2:35 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

This is really cool....love the triangle shaped blob and the little "alien" below it!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home